History of Buderim Bowls Club
The first informal meeting of the proposed club was held at the Buderim School of Arts on 17th March 1951. The Club was duly constituted and the first President was Mr Keith Howes.
The first green was constructed by working bees and the men worked one or two days a week as their own time allowed. Work began in 1952 on enough land for two greens and a club house which was acquired in part by donated and some was purchased.
The club purchased a large Army hut in Brisbane, dismantled it and transported it to Buderim. When it arrived at Buderim the men got busy and re-erected the hut as a club house with a kitchen, the clubroom, a ladies room, a men’s cloak room or bowls room, a refreshment bar and a wide front verandah.
The Clubroom was furnished to accommodate a full green of eight rinks of players and the whole building, free of debt, fully furnished, insured was handed over to the Buderim Bowls Club on August 6th, 1955.
A liquor licence was granted to the club in 1956. A new clubhouse was officially opened on 29th of May 1965. In July 1971 a tender was excepted to start work on a second green. The second green was finished and Officially opened
on 16th of September 1972.
The Clubhouse and greens have undergone several upgrades and additions since that time and is now a modern bowls club with excellent club facilities, two artificial carpet greens, both of which have retractable shades. The “front” green has championship lighting to facilitate social,championship and inter-club events at night.